Kere's Landsphere

Travelogue from points around the world.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Disco!

You know, I believe I have painted a very one-sided picture of Moldova in my recent posts, and for that I am sorry. All I have been showing are hunched over babushkas in the villages and crumbling buildings in the city. But there is another side, a brighter side of wealth and luxury, to Moldova. It's a world of people who live in 4 story mansions, who wear furs and silk and eat at the finest restaurants. There are boutique stores that sell 500 dollar shoes and there are people who are chauffeured in their own tinted-window BMW's. Now, of course, these people only represent 1% of the population, but the point is the beautiful people do live here in Moldova.

And every weekend, the beautiful people go to the hot number one dancespot in town: People. Here, everyone shows off his or her finery and struts to the thumping beats of Europop techno and chortles over cognac and champagne. Ah, it is the life I tell you! I make it a point to go every weekend, where I ogle the half-naked dancing girls perched high above us on the dancestage and try to tell the barstaff how to make a martini in my broken Russian. (So far, all I've managed to get is a glass of vermouth with an olive in it and a shot of gin on the side, but I will not give up hope!)

So, if you ever find yourself in Moldova, come to People nightclub and play like your some haute couture dilettante! And if I see you there, the vermouth shots are on me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home