Kere's Landsphere

Travelogue from points around the world.

Monday, September 10, 2007

SUMMER VACATION: PART 1

I have been very lax in my posting of blogs this summer. The reason being, of course, that I have made the move from Moldova to Montenegro! Both in Europe, both countries that start with "M", yet worlds apart. I will soon post on my new country of residence. But first I thought I would describe the journey.

I decided to go to the USA this summer. My grandfather has been doing poorly, so I felt it my duty to see him. Plus, I had a few other things to take care of. So, despite my limited savings and the fact I knew I would have to spend a lot to get to Montenegro, I committed to go to the USA.

I bought a ticket and was all ready to go. I showed up at the airport all ready for my journey. Or so I thought.

I was detained by the police at the airport. Apparently my visa was expired. But how? I had received a year visa last year in August, and this was only July? Did Moldovan years have fewer months than in the rest of the world?

No, get this: in January a new law was passed in Moldova saying that Americans no longer needed a visa to enter the country for 90 days. Yay that. However, for some totally screwball communist-thinking reason, this meant that all other visas for Americans became invalid. Yeah, it's moronic; welcome to Moldova. So, my old visa was invalid, meaning I had stayed past the 90 days allowed me since January, when the new law came into effect.

So, I was hauled to the courthouse, missed my flight, blah blah blah. To make a long story short, the judge dismissed the case (finally, reason!) and so I was free to come in and out of the country. But, I still had to wait a week to go to the USA. My trip was cut to 2 weeks.

Still, I decided to make the most of my trip. I showed up at the airport a week later, showed the judges letter to an obviously flustered border guard, and luckily made it out of the country in one piece. I say luckily, because I flew out in the aerial equivalent of a toaster. See the pic.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Fortunately, this flight was brief, followed by probably the best overseas flight experience in my life: I licked out and got a window seat by the emergency door (extra legroom!) in a two-seat aisle, where my partner was this very cute and sociable girl from Slovakia. We watched the same movies together, drank a few glasses of wine, and whiled away the hours talking: it was my first aeronautic blind date!

I had a few hours layover in Chicago, and as I was eager to make the most of my 2 weeks in the USA I hopped an "El" downtown. I lived in Chicago for half a year many moons ago, so felt oddly nostalgic for the land of hot-dogs and overweight Midwesterners (a connection?)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Many years ago, I attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. I was young and carefree, and dropped out after only a semester. To this day I consider that the biggest blunder in my life and wonder what would have happened had I stayed there. (And now you know something of the real, inner me - don't say I never opened up, whoever you are!) So this was my ultimate destination. Unfortunately, it was closed :(

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So, I ate a donut and went back to the airport. My first taste of America.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your readership is left hanging for more re the USA. And how, the knowing ones wonder, could you omit mention of Texas? It's such an American place.

But seriously, great blog; and I really look forward to hearing about your new home. Brent (lloydb@speakeasy.net)

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad u're ok, I just forgot to give u my mail for contact, nacudorian@yahoo.com. Please send some new pictures of u're travelling!

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home