Kere's Landsphere

Travelogue from points around the world.

Monday, April 02, 2007

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

I recently attended a conference for curriculum writing in Sana'a, Yemen. Being in the Middle East was awesome. There is a certain peace that Islam gives its followers, a peace that is reflected in the kind and accommodating atmosphere of its societies. It was also just nice to be somewhere warm after the long and dismal (though admittedly, not so cold this year) Eastern European winter.

En route, I was lucky enough to stop off in Istanbul, Turkey for a weekend. This was my second visit to the city, but had just as fun and memorable experience as the first time. The architecture in Istanbul is breathtaking. While the Aya Sofia and Blue Mosque are arguably the finest monuments in the city, the horizon is adorned with numerous, finely detailed mosques, towers, and historic architecture. One could spend an entire weekend only ambling about the city, photographing the numerous sites and stopping only briefly to enjoy a donner kabab every now and then.

But that's not what I did. No, I went shopping. I was accompanied by a few other QSI teachers also heading for the conference, and we spent nearly our entire weekend in the Grand Bazaar, one of the greatest markets for Turkish carpets, hookahs, and curios you can find. While I didn't go carpet crazy (or kilim crazy, rather) as some of my cohorts, I did spend countless hours haranguing with shopkeepers in the desperate struggle for "special price for me." Amongst my many purchases were several kilograms of curry, saffron, and other spices. Being in Moldova has made me rather spice-obsessed, as the only such flavors used in the local cuisine are parsley and dill weed. After six months of potatoes and cabbage seasoned only with parsley and dill, I can understand why people used to wage wars over spice.

When not shopping, I spent most of my time stuffing my face with kababs, baklava, and pudding. God I love baklava. If I could, I'd shove a syruppy square of baklava through the net just for you, dear reader. When full, wash it down with a few cups of apple tea at a cozy cafe and you're all good. I would, however, give the Turkish baths a miss. When I went I fortuitously forewent the massage. My friend did not, and watching him getting twisted and slapped until he was screaming in pain was reminiscent of a World Wrestling Federation match more than anything like a massage, except that the screams were real.

So, go enjoy Istanbul!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home