Kere's Landsphere

Travelogue from points around the world.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

London Food

Alright, this is going to sound strange since England is generally disparaged for its generally bland foodstuffs, but I love London food! Maybe it's because the food in Moldova is that much more bland, but I spent nearly the whole time I was in London eating. I scoured the city looking for fish-n-chips (not so prolific anymore with the decline in cod populations) and when I finally got some ate the whole mass so fast I burned the roof of my mouth.

This time in London I learned two new joys. First, the fact that London grocery stores sell lots of food at reduced price in the evenings, and second the beauty of meat pies. And when you get a meat pie for reduced price at Sainsbury's, sweet as!

And of course, there's Chinatown. While Soho may be gone, Chinatown has sprawled. Roast duck soup, dim sum, ho fun noodles, its all so frikkin good.

Finally, I'd like to tip my hat to Camden Market. Camden has exploded in recent years (Cyberdog being my new favorite store in the world) and with it have come a slew of identical Chinese food stalls. After 5 or 6 in the evening, they reduce their prices and you can buy big aluminum trays of food for 2 pounds. You can't do better than that in London!

Then of course there's the ubiquitous Indian food, Jamaican patties, and full English fry up breakfasts. Maybe the food in England still retains some of its heritage of blandness, but the legacy of imperialism has at least allowed for a wide variety of tastes from around the globe.

And let's not forget, whatever you eat, you can always wash it down with pint after pint of BEER! Ah, London Beer...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home